Write down your goals so when you get them you know you were brave enough to make them. – Alexi Pappas
Just to clarify, when I said average I did not mean “NOT COOL” I just meant not an “ELITE”. Just wanted to get that out there because I think I’m pretty cool! 🙂
This blog is about what I do the day/night before the race and race day before the race.
May it be 5k, 10k, 15K, 10 miles, Half Marathon or FULL MARATHON (coz I’m officially a marathoner, est 10.7.2018)
Full Disclosure: I have no certification whatsoever in sports but these are things I gathered from searching the internet, reading blogs, reading books about running, advice from runners and also from working at a running store for a couple of months. HA! Feel free to add to it, provide additional advice and if you just want to enjoy what I share then why not!!!
THE DAY BEFORE THE RACE!
- HYDRATE! HYDRATE! HYDRATE! If I’ve been slacking with drinking the amount of water I’m supposed to be drinking. I usually add a coconut juice in the mix to add some more electrolytes in my body and hydrate me more just to compensate for the lack thereof.
- CARB DIET! Eat carbs but not too much a day or two before the race. (I usually try to carb load a week before or so especially for long races) I usually go for sweet potatoes (or rice because I am asian and I can’t live without rice and also my body is used to rice)
THE NIGHT BEFORE THE RACE!
I make sure I get enough rest. In order to do that, I prepare everything early, as much as I can (because sometimes it is hard when you have a full time job and the race is on Saturday). I’m usually asleep by 10 o’clock p.m. when it is race day (& UP usually at 5am, depending on what time the race starts).
So here are the things I prepare the night before the race:
- My outfit and gears for the race. I pick out what shirt, short/pants, socks, shoes (because I am a runner and I have plenty to choose from) & even my underwear then I lay them all out on my chair where I can easily grab them. I set my running belt close by my clothes and I charge my running watch and my Bluetooth headset. They are all in a place close together so that I’m not panicking in the morning, just in case I wake up late or if I ever get held up doing something.
- I also like to prepare my post race bag where I put extra clothes (I bring a whole outfit even though I only change my shirt and shoes after, lol).
- After I do that I make sure my nails are cut and are ready to go for race day. I think this is an important part but it just depends on the person too. I make sure I file my nails down. (hope that is not a weird thing)
- I also get my energy chews ready, cut into 4 and placed in a ziploc bag. I also make sure I have a snack, well that is more for long runs/races.
- Don’t forget to eat and hydrate.
- I also do some yoga poses and then I foam roll my legs and back before I go to bed, just in case I don’t get a chance to do them in the morning. Foam rolling is important to keep your muscles loose and ready for race day. While yoga poses help with stretching your body.
- Set up my alarms! “DON’T forget that part.
- I Make sure I have my BIB READY, 4 PINS, remember that! (I forgot my BIB twice for RACE DAY and that made me super anxious and didn’t get to enjoy the full experience of the event since I had to go back home or I was anxiously waiting for my BIB to make it on time but I think some races will reprint a BIB for you, I haven’t tried to do that)
I think that’s it for the night before, If you think I should add some more don’t hesitate to contact me or just leave a comment on here too.
MORNING OF THE RACE!
These are the things I do the morning of the RAC
- I usually try to wake up and hour before I have to leave. I think an hour gives me enough time to get ready and still be relax before I leave. I avoid waking up late and ending up with anxiety before the race. Although, some races don’t require much preparation, it’s still nice to be out and about on a decent time. (PLUS, you got to worry about parking too and that could add unnecessary anxiety for you day.)
- I usually eat 2 toast and sometimes an egg or just jelly. It just depends on what’s available between the two. For short races I can go with just the jelly and a toast but for bigger races I eat 2 eggs and 2 toast and a banana.
- I do drink coffee for breakfast too, to wake me up and give me a little bit of energy. I try to avoid coffee a week or two before the race so that it can work better on my body. (sometimes that’s the hardest part of getting ready for a race, Ha!)
- I also make sure I get a chance to listen to some running mantras, usually on YouTube, it helps my mental game. I sometimes even read. (lol) Whatever will keep you focus on the positives! I would go for that. You can even listen to music too, whatever floats your boat, as long as it helps with your mental game, I say go for it!
- & before I leave, (after I get dressed and ready) I foam roll and do stretches, if I have the time. If not, I know I did it the night before and I should be fine and usually when I get to the location of the race, I’ll either have the time to stretch or sometimes the event would do group stretching too. I also try to do some yoga poses on the morning of too. These are only if you have time to do so, ya know because I try to wake up early! (that is why it is very important to have enough sleep! 🙂
That’s it. That’s pretty much what I do to get ready for RACE DAY! I hope you enjoyed this and also I hope that it helped you somehow.
Don’t forget to click subscribe or to simply leave me a comment!
Thank you so much for reading my thoughts, as always.
Yours truly Yours,